I've been loving several color work projects recently. Along with the snowflake socks I've got a vest and a sweater both with colorwork in them on my needles. This vest:
is for me. Apparently I enjoy blue vests...
I'm taking some stitch patterns from a vest I found on ravelry and imitating them. But I'm using an aran weight yarn instead of dk weight, so the final project is certain to come out differently. This vest will have steeks! Also known as - knitting a tube and then cutting the armholes and neck hole in afterwards. It's a pretty scary process that even good knitters do with a shot for fortification. Apparently it's a careful line to walk, too much fortification and you shouldn't be wielding scissors anywhere near your knitting... And of course for a first steeking project I've decided I'll do a vest for which I don't have actual instructions... I'll find out eventually if I'm being brave, or foolish. But it seems like I should have some experience before I get to that point in the royal rose sweater...
Another colorwork sweater:
This one is for Neil. It's got much less patterning in it. After that band of color above the ribs I have miles and miles (about 10 inches) of plain gray stockinette to knit before I add some more color and the sleeves. This is knit in the round from the bottom up, When I get to the arms I'll knit them each separately and joining them all together and then continue knitting up to the collar. I'll either do it as a yoke sweater or use raglan decreases. And that's about how far ahead I'm planning this thing as I knit it. Adventure is fun! But I'm not completely crazy, I had the gray and the green cleared by Neil before starting. And I knit this giant swatch:
to test three patterns and three color combinations. Neil got to pick the color combination and I picked which of the three patterns I liked knitting best. Interestingly we both like the middle one, so that's what'll go around the shoulders of the sweater. I also measured a sweater he likes and cast on the correct number of stitches to make sure the pattern repeat will fit evenly around. So there's at least a little planning happening for this sweater.
Yesterday was town meeting day, and Neil and I took advantage of the break to do a little remodeling. We've changed the kitchen a bit so it's brighter and more sunny. Here's a before picture:
But you'll have to wait until I get some shots of the "after" that aren't horribly blurry.